With continuous wind speeds of around 140-150 km/h and gusts as high as 170 km/h, tropical cyclone “BIPARJOY” has deteriorated into a “Very Severe Cyclonic Storm” (VSCS) – Category 3. It is now located close to Latitude 21.2° N and Longitude 66.6° E, around 380 km and 390 km south of Karachi, respectively. Tropical cyclone Biparjoy is predicted to continue moving north until the morning of June 14, 2023, at which point it is likely to receive eastward and strike in the afternoon of June 15, 2023, somewhere between Keti Bandar (Southeast Sindh Coast) and the Indian Gujarat Coast as a Very Severe Cyclonic Storm (VSCS).
The NEOC Technical Team generated these conclusions using regional and global models (PMD-NWPM, NASA, PDC & UKM, IMD, BOM-A, and ECMWF). On Tuesday, at least 30,000 individuals were relocated to shelter houses, and the operation was anticipated to be finished by sunset.
According to Alok Kumar Pandey, state relief commissioner, the bulk of the evacuees—14,088—were in Kutch, followed by 5,000 in Devbhumi Dwarka, 4,000 in Rajkot, 2,000 in Morbi, over 1,500 in Jamnagar, 550 in Porbandar, and 500 in the Junagadh district. 284 pregnant ladies are among them.
|Follow guidelines given by the administration|
|Follow local government procedures for Cyclone Biparjoy.|
|Follow official notifications and directions.|
|Adhere to evacuation orders if issued by authorities.|
|Protect your property.|
|Gather emergency supplies.|
|Help local officials and emergency responders.|
|Support your community throughout the cyclone.|
|Report emergencies and seek help. Stay safe.|
|Be aware of weather fluctuations.|
The latest prediction suggests a landfall in the evening hours on June 15, which implies a slowdown of the cyclone compared to the original projection of landfall near Jakhau around midday on June 15. Officials with the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said that the cyclone is moving along.
On Wednesday, the move eastward is anticipated. It would choose a potential landfall location. The locations where it is anticipated that there will be heavy rain and severe gusts are not likely to alter, according to a senior official.
Cyclone Biparjoy Live Locations & Affected Areas
In response to a cyclone threat in the state, residents of low-lying districts of Gujarat are being relocated to temporary shelters. They have been instructed to be ready for any emergency. Cyclone “Biparjoy,” which is now over the southeast Arabian Sea and adjacent east-central Arabian Sea, is expected to move northward and grow into a severe cyclonic storm in the next hours, according to the India Meteorological Department (IMD) on Tuesday.
In the following three to four days, the storm’s harsh weather and sea conditions might cause the wind to gust to 160 Kmph, reaching 135 to 145 Kmph, on occasion. Fishermen have been advised not to enter the water by the meteorological office. Additionally, it has issued a wind advisory for southwesterly states for the next five days.
How the government is preparing for Cyclone Biparjoy?
- We have relocated 20,580 individuals from the coastal regions of Gujarat to relief camps where they will be given food, water, and other necessities, according to CC Patel, director of relief operations for the state of Gujarat.
- The government has stopped fishing and school vacations.
- Gujarat dispatched 21 National Disaster Response Force and 13 State Disaster Response Force units for rescue operations.
- The government has evacuated low-lying regions up to 5 KM from the shore and is prepared to evacuate further.
Cyclone Biparjoy: Important points to be noted!
- Cyclone Biparjoy is a powerful cyclonic storm currently located in the Bay of Bengal.
- It is expected to intensify further and reach severe cyclonic storm status.
- Odisha, West Bengal, Bangladesh, and Myanmar’s coastal regions are vulnerable.
- Heavy rain, powerful gusts, and storm waves from the cyclone may flood and destroy infrastructure.
- Meteorological and local agencies provide credible information.
- In high-risk areas, evacuate and seek refuge.
- Secure your home and stockpile essentials.
- Follow local authorities’ orders.
- Be safe, calm, and supportive.
- Official and local sources should provide real-time information and guidance.
Cyclone Biparjoy won’t impact the monsoon further
According to the latest meteorological reports, Cyclone Biparjoy is not expected to have a significant impact on the monsoon system. While it may bring localized heavy rainfall in specific regions, it is unlikely to affect the overall monsoon patterns.